The Evatt Trophy Competition engages high school students in world affairs and issues through debating mock Security Council resolutions from the position of an assigned country.
In pairs, delegates will be assigned a country and one resolution a week prior to the competition. They will then develop their stance on the prepared resolution from the perspective of their assigned country. On the day of their round, they will debate, amend and finally vote on the prepared resolution and also one impromptu resolution.
The competition provides a forum for high school students to meet other like-minded students and develop their public speaking and negotiation skills. It fosters learning through a non-teaching environment and creates a positive and empowering experience for students who are interested in international relations, politics and world affairs.
The competition is open to students in years 9-12 from all over the Perth metropolitan and outer metropolitan suburbs, as well as regional areas. Watch this space for the Delegate Handbook, which will have all the info you need to know, even if you’ve never done Evatt before!
Workshops will be run to give an introduction to Model United Nations, and to run you through the rules of the competition! It is compulsory to attend one of these workshops to compete in the competition, they will take place on the 29th and 30th of June at Perth Modern School 5-7pm. More details will be emailed to those who register.
Metropolitan Perth Rounds will take place across July and August:
- Online round: date TBC
- Round 1: Saturday 24/07, AM – Mt Claremont Community Centre
- Round 2: Saturday 24/07, PM – Mt Claremont Community Centre
- Round 3: Friday 30/07, PM – Lumen Christi College
- Round 4: Saturday 31/07 – Butler College
- Round 5: Friday 01/08 – location TBC
- Round 6: Saturday 07/08, AM – Mount Lawley Senior High School
- Round 7: Saturday 07/08, PM – Mount Lawley Senior High School
- Round 8: Wednesday 11/08 – Mother Teresa Catholic College
- Round 9: Saturday 14/08, PM – Aquinas College
Regional Rounds will take place on the following dates:
- Geraldton: Tuesday 27/07
- Kalgoorlie: Saturday 19/06
- Bunbury: date TBC
- Busselton/Margaret River: Tuesday 25/06
- Albany: date TBC
NOTE: You only need to attend ONE of these rounds! You will receive your round allocation two weeks prior to your round, and your country allocation one week prior.