Voice is a unique public speaking competition for students in Year 7-10, running throughout Term 3. Voice invites you to solve issues that affect your community, nation and the world. From homelessness to climate change we want to hear you pitch your big ideas.
Why compete in Voice?
- Develop skills in public speaking and research!
- Hone your ability to think on your feet, assisting you in leadership positions or debating competition in the future.
- Build an increased knowledge about areas pertinent to you as students.
- A chance to meet likeminded and engaged young people.
How Voice Works
Junior Division (Year 7 and 8): 4 minutes
Senior Division (Year 9 and 10): 5 minutes
Junior Division (Year 7 and 8): 2 minutes
Senior Division (Year 9 and 10): 2 minutes
Three weeks prior to the date of your round you will be emailed a range of questions on current issues. You choose one of these questions to present a solution, based on the division you are competing in. Sample topics can be found here.
The competition is split into two parts — the Pitch and Question Time.
- The Pitch: This is where participants outline a solution to a given world problem. Students may present new solutions to long-standing problems, or new solutions to largely untouched issues. In this section adjudicators will be judging based on participants’ ability to provide tangible solutions rather than just identifying their chosen issue in the abstract.
- Question Time: Here participants answer two questions, lasting for approximately one minute each, on the solution they presented in The Pitch by the judging pane
Rounds will take place in the north and south of the state. Preliminary rounds will run in late August to early September. Dates listed are subject to confirmation.
Grand Finalists will be announced at the completion of all preliminary rounds. The Grand Finals will be held on the 21st of September in Hobart.
Registrations are open for 2019. Speech topics for each round will be released to registered participants from 3 weeks prior to the date of the round.
Topics will be issued four weeks before your chosen round by the convenor, so be sure to pay close attention to your emails!
Need more info?
Want to attend? Registrations are closed for 2019, but email our Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about 2020 registrations.