Voice is a unique public speaking competition for students in Year 7-10, running throughout Term 4. Voice invites you to solve issues that affect your community, nation and the world. From homelessness to climate change we want to hear you pitch your big ideas.
Why compete in Voice?
- Develop skills in public speaking and research!
- Hone your ability to think on your feet, assisting you in leadership positions or debating competition in the future.
- Build an increased knowledge about areas pertinent to you as students.
- A chance to meet likeminded and engaged young people.
How Voice works in New South Wales
The competition is split into two parts — the Pitch and Question Time.
- The Pitch: This is where participants outline a solution to a given world problem. Students may present new solutions to long-standing problems, or new solutions to largely untouched issues. In this section adjudicators will be judging based on participants’ ability to provide tangible solutions rather than just identifying their chosen issue in the abstract.
- Question Time: Here participants answer two questions, lasting for approximately one minute each, on the solution they presented in The Pitch by the judging panel.
Junior Division (Year 7 and 8): 4 minutes
Senior Division (Year 9 and 10): 5 minutes
Junior Division (Year 7 and 8): 1 minute preparation, 2 minutes speaking time
Senior Division (Year 9 and 10):1 minute preparation, 2 minutes speaking time
Four weeks prior to the date of your round you will be emailed a range of questions on current issues. You choose one of these questions to present a solution, based on the division you are competing in. Sample topics can be found here.
2019 Voice Rounds
- Tuesday October 15 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at Macquarie Fields High School
- Wednesday October 16 from 4.00pm to 6.30pm at Our Lady of Mercy College, Parramatta
- Thursday October 17 from 4.00pm to 6.30pm at Presbyterian Ladies College, Croydon
- Saturday October 19 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at University of Technology Sydney
- Saturday October 19 from 2.00pm to 4.30pm at University of Technology Sydney
- Monday October 21 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at Ravenswood School for Girls, Gordon
- Tuesday October 22 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at Normanhurst Boys High School, Normanhurst
- Wednesday October 23 from 1.30pm to 4.00pm at St Edwards College, East Gosford
- Friday October 25 from 11.00am to 1.30pm at The Illawarra Grammar School, Mangerton
- Saturday October 26 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at University of Technology Sydney
- Saturday October 26 from 2.00pm to 4.30pm at University of Technology Sydney
- Monday October 28 from 11.00am to 1.30pm at Bathurst High Campus
- Wednesday October 30 from 4.00pm to 6.30pm at Caringbah Selective High School
- Friday November 1 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at Bishop Tyrrell Anglican College, Fletcher
- Monday November 4 from 10.00am to 12.30pm at Blacktown Girls High School
- Wednesday November 6 from 4.00pm to 6.30pm at Kambala, Rose Bay
Need more info?
Get in contact with our 2019 Voice convenor Robert Martin at email@example.com